This is Waynesboro’s oldest intact neighborhood. It coalesced as a community about 1870, just after the Civil War, when formerly enslaved individuals moved here to work in nearby industries and on railroads. The African American residents constructed most of the buildings here between the mid-19th and mid-20th centuries. The community’s Rosenwald School and Shiloh Baptist Church were both constructed in 1924. One of the earliest houses in the district, a circa 1818 dwelling, was built on Riverside Drive. Designated the Port Republic Road Historic District, the neighborhood was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
Marker: Q-2, Virginia Department of Historic Resources (2009)