Alexandria, occupied by Union troops during the Civil War, became a refuge for African Americans escaping slavery. Before the war ended, about 50 former slaves founded the Shiloh Society, later known as Shiloh Baptist Church. Members held services in U.S. government buildings until Sept. 1865, when their new frame church on West Street was dedicated. The congregation flourished under the leadership of the Rev. Leland Warring, pastor for more than 20 years. The brick Gothic Revival sanctuary here was completed in 1893. Prominent visitors have included Rep. John Mercer Langston, Dr. Dorothy Height, and Pres. George W. Bush.
Marker: E-136, Virginia Department of Historic Resources (2015)